Step 1: Adoption Application
If you’ve fallen in love with one of P.A.W.S.’s adoptable pets, the first step in bringing them into your family is to complete an adoption application. Adoptions are on a first-come, first-served basis, and completed applications will be considered in order of when they were submitted. Copies of the application forms can be downloaded below or provided by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or 204-857-PAWS (7297). There are also plenty of applications at every P.A.W.S. Adoptathon!
Download adoption applications here:
Step 2: Background Check
Once you have submitted the adoption application, we will proceed with a background check. The background check consists of the following:
An interview with you, during which you will be asked to provide proof of identity.
Veterinary reference checks, particularly if you have other animals at home.
Personal reference checks.
Step 3: Adoption Contract and Fee
Upon successful completion of the background check, you will be asked to sign an adoption contract and pay the applicable adoption fee. The fee helps cover the cost of a vet checkup, deworming, vaccinations, FeLV/FIV test for cats, parvo/heartworm test for dogs at vet recommendation, spay or neuter & tattoo. It is P.A.W.S.’s policy to ensure each animal is spayed/neutered and tattooed.
Cats & Kittens – $75 for cats / $100 for kittens under 6 months.
Dogs & Puppies – $225 for dogs / $275 for puppies under 6 months.
- All adoptions are on a first-come, first-served basis. Applications must be submitted in order for your interest in a particular animal to be acknowledged. Fees are not required to be paid until the Adoption Contract stage.
- Animals are available for adoption only to persons approved by Portage Animal Welfare Society Inc. Approval is determined based on the successful completion of the adoption process as described above.
- For persons living in rental property, the permission of the landlord is required before the adoption can be approved.
- The adoption will not be approved if the animal is being adopted as a gift for another person. Applications must be signed by the intended primary caregiver(s), aged 18 or over.
- Animals are to be kept as household pets only. Rural applicants must provide proof of adequate shelter for the animal.
- Cats must be adopted as indoor pets only and cannot be de-clawed.
- Each adoption has a two-week grace period wherein animals can be returned and fees will be refunded if they are not fitting into the household.